Parents of Murdered Children, Inc. (POMC), headquartered in Cincinnati, Ohio, is the only national self-help organization designed
solely to offer emotional support and information about surviving the loss of a loved one to murder. It was founded by
WHEN A LOVED ONE IS MURDERED
Facing the death of a loved one is never easy. When murder occurs, the anger, pain and grief are compounded by the crushing realization that another person intentionally took the life of someone precious. Adding to the family's trauma are intrusions into their grief. Police, lawyers and other members of the criminal justice system need information, evidence and testimony. Television and newspaper reporters often focus upon the victim without consulting the family. When a suspect is apprehended, preliminary hearings, postponements, trials and sentencing all force grieving families to face what may seem to be a lack of justice. In situations where the murder is unsolved or justice is otherwise compromised, there is even greater pain and confusion.
WHY WE ARE HERE
1. To provide ongoing emotional support needed to help parents and other survivors deal with the pain of their loss and facilitate the reconstruction of their lives.
2. To provide contact with similarly bereaved persons and establish self-help groups that meet regularly.
3. To provide information about the grief process and the criminal justice system as they pertain to the survivors of a homicide victim.
4. To communicate with professionals about the problems faced by those surviving a homicide victim.
5. To increase society's awareness of the problems faced by survivors.
HOW MAY WE HELP?
Every survivor has days that are more difficult than others. If you need to talk to someone, please call. The National POMC staff is available to listen and assist you with specific problems. National POMC is open Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. EST. After hours an answering service will relay your message and they will return your call as soon as possible.
For The Families and Friends of Those Who Have Died By Violence
A Self-Help Support Organization
This chapter was established on November 16, 1981